What are colonics?
What different colonic treatments do we offer?
Why would I need a colonic?
The colon acts as your own sewage works within the body, but if waste is left to break down and rot in your colon, the colonic membrane begins to reabsorb the waste back into your body. This makes your body toxic and causes you problems. Toxins in the blood system can build up over the years causing a range of symptoms from acne, thrush, constipations, IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), early onset arthritis, joint pain, back pain and much more.
With a reasonably healthy digestion… food should take about 4 hours from eating to then to exit your body. But it can instead take several weeks to get rid of your waste – as it can just sit in your colon. Like a traffic jam really. This slowdown is caused by many factors of our modern lifestyle (i.e. rushed, stressful, desk based, lack of exercise, jet lag and lack of routine) not just the increased processed foods we eat. It is important to understand the root cause of your symptoms as prevention is better than cure!
The most common reasons clients come to have a colonic is because they have been Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) symptoms or they have changed their diet EG Vegans, Food intolerance or aiming to get fitter.
What happens during my colonic hydrotherapy?
A full consultation to go through your full medical history (allow 15mins to fill form in) is carried out prior to your Colonic Hydrotherapy but let us know at time of booking if you are under your Doctor’s or specialist supervision or have any ongoing health conditions. We will explain the process fully. Do not hesitate to ask us any questions… even if you feel they may be embarrassing.
Filtered body temperature water is introduced to the colon for 30-45mins as an internal bath, which actively stimulates the peristaltic movements of the bowel aiding in better digestion and absorption of food and nutrients, reducing many digestive related problems and making you generally feel better. Rest assured your comfort, modesty and confidentiality will be maintained at all times.
Satori offers a holistic Colonic Hydrotherapy as it starts with a 15min Zen Chi Massager to relax and get things moving, during the treatment you’ll receive stimulating stomach massage which is helpful too. Music is played and a hot water bottle is placed on your tummy. Personalised aftercare advice is given during the treatment that will hopefully help you help yourself in the future.
Most clients find the procedure relaxing as the treatment is gentle. Sometimes you may feel a little discomfort – a bit like an upset stomach but this passes with closing your eyes and deep breathing. As professional therapists we are used to people feeling nervous especially before the first treatment. The therapist’s job is to put you at ease and ensure you are comfortable and relaxed throughout your treatment.
Benefits to colonic hydrotherapy
- Lifting spirits and balancing moods
- Improved sleep and energy
- Improved skin condition
- Improved digestion
- Decrease in heartburn and indigestion
- Regular and improved bowel movements.
How many colonic hydrotherapy treatments do I need?
We recommend you have your initial Colonic treatment and our expert holistic therapists will advise on an individual basis how many more and how often you will require treatments. Most people benefit from a follow up treatment within 1 month and even better results if you come back in a week! Then about 3 to 4 times a year following this for maintenance. Perfect treatment after a full on Christmas, pre and post holidays! If you don’t have a bowel movement every day a course of several treatments may be beneficial to help regulate. Colonic Hydrotherapy treatments are available 7 days a week so will fit in with your busy lifestyle or if you need a treatment urgently!
Your answers to the most asked questions
- You can eat on the day as long as nothing too heavy but leave a gap of 1 hour before your treatment.
- You can eat after your colonic treatment but nothing to heavy or spicy and avoid alcohol.
- Ensure leading up to your treatment that you drink a good amount of water – although NOT lots on the day.
- You can have a colonic treatment during your menstrual cycle as your body is naturally releasing (just remove tampon).
- You can have a colonic when you have an upset stomach – in fact it may help to make you feel better sooner.
- You may feel some discomfort during parts of the treatment but it’s not painful and may feel a bit like an upset stomach.
- The filtered body temperature water is introduced at a low gravitational pressure, so there is no danger of bowel perforation. All equipment is either disposable or disinfected.
- Colonic hydrotherapy, unlike the use of laxatives, is not habit forming and actually improves the tone of the colon and increases peristalsis (digestion muscles working).
- An Enema will only clean a very small area of your colon. Colonics can clean more effectively and more deeper into the Colon/Large Intestine.
- Avoid a heavy meal for at least 3 hours before treatment and avoid eating completely 1 hour before
- DO NOT drink plenty of water directly before treatment.
- Please read our contraindications section (below) to ensure you can have this treatment.
Please make your therapist aware of any medical conditions you have as you can be contraindicated to the treatment. Contra-indications are as follows:
- Congestive heart failure of organic valve disease
- Severe cardiac disease; e.g. uncontrolled hypertension
- Take blood medication
- Severe anemia
- GI hemorrhage/perforation
- Severe hemorrhoids
- Hepatitis A, B, C
- Carcinoma of the colon or rectum
- Abdominal hernia / inguinal hernia
- Colon surgery
- Recent abdominal surgery (at least the 3 months post surgery)
- Recent colonoscopy (at least the 12 days post Colonoscopy)
- Tumor in the Rectum or Large Intestine
- Renal insufficiency
- Kidney dialysis
- History of seizures
- Abortion (less than 6 months)
- Miscarriage (less than 4 months post-op)
- Breast feeding
- Immunocompromised at present time
- Present gastrointestinal infection
- Rectal bleeding
- Severely obese
- Vomiting at present time
- Strong abdominal pain.